Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Gabriel Grant Saville January 26th, 2009 – July 12th, 2010

On July 10th Gabe and Isaac were watching a movie upstairs in David and I’s room. We were downstairs and with the girls. Isaac came downstairs and said Gabie is dead. I went right up to see if he was just sleeping or ok. I found him on my bed on his tummy with blue eyelids and blue lips. Katie immediately got David and he in turn immediately called 911. We started CPR with coaching from the dispatcher. The Ambulance was very fast and we got Gabe to the hospital very quickly. When we arrived he had already flat lined and they started trying to resuscitate  him. It took 45 minutes to get a heart beat back. He was given a wonderful blessing by his Grandpa Egley at that time and then taken to get a CT Scan. Later we were told of the results from the CT Scan. His brain had massive swelling. Usually we have ridge’s in our brain and Gabe’s had no ridges anymore just a smooth surface. His heart was beating on it’s own but he was not breathing on his own anymore. They put him in the PICU and we started waiting for a sign that he was coming back to us. The doctors and nurses were amazing in taking care of him and us. They did test’s to see if his brain stem was functioning normally and it was not in all the tests. They waited until 36 hours to make sure none of the tests changed. At about 48 hours we were sure that he was not coming back to us on this earth. He had no response to any of the tests and the Neurologist saw no activity on the EEG. We discussed having him be a donor and let the doctor know we were ok with that. Once that was decided the doctor called time of death on the 12th of July 2010.  After an autopsy was done the cause of death was unknown; all we know is that Gabe watched a movie with his big brother then painlessly fell asleep and went to live with his Father in Heaven.

July 11th 2010 when we were saying our goodbyes and holding him my brother played I Am A Child of God for Gabe on the Violin and at that time I had a peace come over me that helped me know that Gabe is ok and right where he is needed most. We love him dearly and will miss him horribly but we know he’s exactly where he needs to be. 

July 13th 2010 at 1am Gabe went to into surgery and had his heart removed and it was then taken to California to be given to Jack. Jack at the time was 6 months old and suffering from Barth Syndrome. Jack was in desperate need of a heart transplant and was schedules to receive a Berlin Heart. The day he was to go into surgery his family was told that there was a donor Heart for him; instead of the Berlin Heart he’d be getting a real Heart. We are proud parents to have such a special baby to be able to come to us in a perfect little body and share so much joy with us and now he has given Jack the chance to give his parents that same joy.


  1. Wow...Thanks for sharing your story. It has really touched my heart. I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and your family.

  2. I am so sorry for your loss, but I want to thank you for turning such a horrible event into something so full of hope.
    Without being in this world for very long, isn't it amazing that your little boy was able to give life to a complete stranger... to someone else’s little boy.
    God bless you!
    We will be dropping books off at the Think Inc. location in American Fork on Monday.
    Keep your spirits high… and know that you ARE making a difference!
    Thank you